Her parents are severely alarmed at her first incident of accidental magic, when she’s a baby and summons the apple slice right out of her distracted mother’s hand. They read Quran over her and throughout the house to ward against djinn, but the accidental magic continues, so the write ayat-ul qursi and put it in a locket for her to wear to protect her from the evil eye and sihr.
Nothing stops, and since she doesn’t act possessed, they decide its just a miracle from God, makes sure she reads Quran and does her prayers, and make dua, and she grows up well-adjusted and slightly worried about this ability of her. Her parents make sure she doesn’t get a big head and think she’s a saint or something.
Then she turns 11, and McGonagall comes to tell them about Hogwarts. The parents are sceptical and demand some kind of proof that this woman isn’t about to spirit their daughter away. McGonagall is taken aback that the issue for these Muggles isn’t the magic so much as the ‘invisible boarding school we can’t tell is safe or not’.
So she gathers other Muggle parents to testify that their daughter is going to a real and proper school, and that’s that, she’s off to Hogwarts. She gets sorted into Ravenclaw (but almost into Slytherin for all that ambition she has).
Through the years, though, things she never considered comes up. Like how she’s basically a vegetarian at Hogwarts in her first year cause the house-elves don’t know about halaal meat, or how everyone looks at her funnily when in Third Year she gets special permission from Dumbledore to break from classes for prayer (and she learns to be quiet for Fajr when her roommates complain).
Or how Madame Pomfrey gets worried about her fasting in Ramadan, and the house-elves are insulted when she won’t eat their food until she explains, and then stuff her full of food half an hour before Fajr and at Maghrib.
Or that she takes to healing the muggle way because not all those potions have ingredients that she can ingest, and she talks to a sheikh for advice on if salamanders and bat eyes are actually halaal.
And then its a struggle to be the only hijabi in the school, and she makes friends with the Baron so he stops Peeves from trying to pull it off all the time.
And how annoying it is when the only holidays that get celebrated are Christian ones, and that’s when she makes friends with Anthony Goldstein, who agrees that there should be more religious diversity so he can really enjoy Hannukah at school.
She gets in trouble for saying her spells in Arabic, to the consternation of all her professors who don’t understand the language and insist that its dangerous if they can’t govern her spell-casting.
So she starts a duelling club, and Padma joins her and casts spells in Punjabi, and Anthony who does his spells in Hebrew (they’re not making up spells, just changing the language, and isn’t it funny that the spells are always a teensy bit different?), and others trickle in, and new magic gets practiced under the supervision of a Ministry hire who encourages them and speaks sixteen different languages.
Then people claim she’s a frigid freak because she keeps turning down boys who want to date her (even though she really likes them), until she puts the gossipers in the Hospital Wing, and then no one says anything after that.
She worries about the practical non-existence of Muslims in Wizarding Britain, and will that affect the jobs she can get, because wizards and witches are a bit funny about religion?
THIS IS MY FAVORITE THING RIGHT NOW
”Let us step into the night and pursue that flighty temptress, adventure.
things that are currently really bothering me about the wizarding world in britain
- the only job opportunities available are small business owner or working for the gov’t??? (i’m assuming healers work for the gov’t because, y’know, britain)
- this is problematic
- this is problematic because of the government of the british wizarding world
- the only school is run by the government; the daily prophet is de facto run by the government; as mentioned above, nearly all jobs are government jobs
- the wizarding world is not a democracy
- the judicial branch (wizengamot?) is repeatedly shown to completely lack any kind of innocent-until-proven-guilty mentality, trial by jury of your peers does not exist, dementors are the fucking DEFINITION of cruel and unusual punishment, you have no right to an attorney, it can be presumed that you do not have the right not to incriminate yourself
- i realize those are all standards of justice that i have quoted from the bill of rights but they are also… standards of justice that have been adopted by most free governments worldwide…
- how the fuck is the minister of magic chosen, how are government positions acquired, no one is ever shown voting, voting is never discussed, at the beginning of book 6 fudge says the people “wanted” someone tougher i.e. scrimgeour but HOW IS THE MINISTER OF MAGIC CHOSEN??? WE JUST DON’T KNOW
- harry never takes a civics class (muggle or wizarding), he is never taught about how his own government works
- THESE ARE THINGS THAT ARE FUCKED UP
- the ministry seems to run largely on a good-old-boys network, as exemplified by lucius malfoy, a former fucking death eater, who has extraordinary power and influence in the extraordinarily powerful government
- voldemort is able to take over the british wizarding government in two years
- it took hitler and mussolini and stalin decades to get the kind of power voldemort gets in two years while being a known war criminal and terrorist
- there are clearly absolutely no protections or safeguards on the rights and freedoms of any wizard
- the wizarding world is a tyranny
- it is a fucking dystopia
i think it was deliberate actually
like you start out thinking like harry that the wizarding world is magical and wonderful but as he gets older he finds out more and more that it is actually a shitty place to live
kinda like real life
HARRY POTTER CHALLENGE ; Favourite house/your house
I figured out how to turn my wand on but now I can’t turn it off. Where is the “nox” function on this thing.
EDIT: Oh my god I have to wave it.
I’m late with this meme but it’s been my drafts forever and I had almost everything filled out.
Choose your top
6 shows 5 fandoms (in no particular order):
The first character I fell in love with:
The character I never expected to love as much as I do now:
The character everyone else loves that I hate (Or in my opinion is my least favourite):
The character everyone else hates that I love:
The character I’m most like:
My five favourite characters (in order):
"Oh my god, everything just makes sense!”
"Is that why he hates Muggles?"
"You can’t leave us now! We need you here!"
"I won’t let you go!"
HERMIONE AND NEVILLE.
WHERE’S PETRIFICUS TOTALUS WHEN YOU NEED IT. EDIT